“In conversation with an allied health professional”
Dementia Awareness Week 2022 (Monday 30 May to Friday 5 June) is an opportunity to support the 90,000 people living with dementia in Scotland and their families and carers. The theme for this year’s Dementia Awareness Week is ‘Prevent, Care, Cure’.
There is also a Tea & Blether Campaign where you can host a coffee morning this Dementia Awareness Week (or any time in June) to support people living with dementia in Scotland. And it’s simple: Just pick a date, a location and gather up some friendly faces to have a chat over a cuppa – and a slice or two of cake if you fancy! Head to blether.alzscot.org to register for free.
Over the week there will be a series of events, including podcasts, blogs and webinars to get communities talking about dementia. Find out more here
Allied health professionals in Scotland are supporting the week in a number of different ways including
- Sharing their blethers locally with a #MugShot of their favourite mug and letting us know what you are talking about.
- Inviting people to follow our weekly blog or daily tweets that offer practical hints and tips
- Sharing our practical information sheets and resources locally
- Working with Music for Dementia UK and Brain Health Scotland, hosting a round table to talk about the value of music and dementia: Right music, at the right time and in the right way
We also decided that during the week we will also be hosting a series of “in conversation with” blogs where you can read or listen to our AHPs sharing “frequently asked questions” that we will share here on our blog and daily at @AHPDementia and @ScotJTDementia, with the support of @alzscot. Our week looks like this:
- Monday 30th May we are in conversation with Gillian our dietitian
- Tuesday 31st May our occupational therapists, Abi, Lynn and Claire will be talking about their roles and we are also going to share our first ever TicTok post by Julie.
- Wednesday 1st June, Alison will be in a pre-recorded podcast with our podiatrists Vicki and Karen
- Thursday 2nd June, Jenny has written a blog for us on frequently asked questions in her role as a speech and language therapists
- Friday 3rd June, will be led by Claire talking about physiotherapy
- Saturday 4th June we will focus on music therapy led by Laura
- Sunday 5th June I will do a round up of the week from our allied health professions community in Scotland.
During the week, you can also ask a question to our AHPs. Are you worried about falls, good footcare, eating well and keeping active? Perhaps you have questions about communication, looking for tips on how to boost your memory or develop a musical profile? We have Allied Health Professionals waiting to answer your questions, so just email us at AHPDementia@alzscot.org and we will answer your questions as best we can.
If you have the chance to get involved in Dementia Awareness Week in any way, online or in person, please support the week by following the conversation on social media #DementiaAwareness and reach out to your fellow citizens living with dementia and their carers.
Thank you and have a great week everyone and look forward to seeing all your #MugShots. Elaine